Randy Allen Burdick

Burdick1Randy Allen Burdick was freed of pain with his passing to an eternal life on Thursday, February 19, 2015, at the University Hospital in Salt Lake City.  Randy was born October 22, 1951 in Ely, Nevada.  He was the youngest son of Walter A. and Neva E. Lani Burdick, having two older brothers, W.A. “Tooter” and Kenny at home.  He was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Ely and was Godfather to his great nephew, Wade Burdick and cousin, Chris Baldwin.

His early years were spent in Ely and then at Schellborne Maintenance Station in North Steptoe Valley, when his father worked for the State Highway Department.  The rural area brought him and his brothers in contact with a country living which they all enjoyed.  They later moved to East Ely where he attended Sacred Heart School and White Pine High School, graduating in 1969.  He served several years in the Nevada National Guard; worked in construction, was pit boss at Hotel Nevada and Bank Club for 10 years and was a restaurant cook.  At a young age he was struck with debilitating auto-immune diseases which progressively took toll on his body.

He was a very gifted artist, working in various media forms and enjoyed helping others dabbling in art.  He was free with self-taught knowledge and helped whenever he could. His Native American art work was beautiful with feeling displayed in every detail.  His pen and ink drawings of people, wildlife and the old steam engines in Ely were often sought after.  His wildlife pictures depicted real-life scenes found where he lived. He sold much of his artwork and donated several to local fund raising projects. Not one to give in easily, he worked until his physical condition prohibited it.  He was an inspiration to all for his stalwart determination against the daily struggles he faced.

Randy never married; he took his brothers’ children and grandchildren under his wing and cared for them as his own.  Being very involved in their lives; he considered their needs and wishes before his own; always there to give what he had as they grew to adults.  The task that was at hand didn’t have a bearing; he was there for them. He enjoyed watching their sporting events and encouraged them in their endeavors.

He is preceded in death by his grandparents, Hebert & Mary Burdick; Albert & Lida Lani; his father, Walter A. Burdick and several aunts, uncles and cousins.  He is survived by his mother, Neva Burdick, Ely, brothers; W. A. Tooter (Patti) Burdick, of New Harmony, Utah; Kenny Burdick of McGill, Niece: Brandi (Wes) Johnson, Reno, Nevada, Nephews: Shawn (Stephanie) Burdick, Martin Burdick, Brady (Tina) Burdick all of Ely.  Great nieces: Shawna Burdick, New Harmony, Utah; Mya, Isabelle and Laeni Burdick, Ely and Erica Johnson, Reno.  Great nephews: Nicholas, Wade, Cole and Stephen Burdick all of Ely; Kort and Weston Johnson, Reno.  He is also survived by numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.

At his request, there will be no services.  His cremains will be interred in the Ely Cemetery.

Get the latest news, alerts, and more from The Ely Times straight to your inbox.

Comments

1. Nancy Taylor says:

Sweet Neva. Thinking of you with much love and prayers.

2. Judy ( Wiskerchen) Elze says:

My sincerest condolences and prayers to you, Neva, and to your family. Randy was an awesome guy and will be missed…he is gone, but will never be forgotten. R.I.P. Randy

3. RIP Randy, you bring back wonderful memories of my brother Danny Britton
    God Bless

4. rose ortiz gallegos says:

Neva, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Randy will always be a big part of my heart.

5. Georgia Cobb Harmon says:

To all of Randy’s family I am so sorry for your lose.
    My prayers are with you God Bless you all.

6. Lou Ann Ashby says:

Hugs, loves and prayers to the Burdick family.

• Mary Santistevan says:

Ray and I are so saddened to hear that you lost your Son Randy! May our Heavenly Father give you the spiritual strength to cope. We are promised a resurrection of our loved ones in God’s due time. Until then may all the wonderful Memories you had together up build you til you see him again! Our most sincere condolences! Ray & Mary Santistevan

7. Nolan Davis says:

My heart and prayers go out to you Neva, Tooter & Kenny
    Randy was such a special person. I have so many memories of our times hunting, riding horses, and
    water skiing. Being my best man at my wedding was the best. I’ll miss you my friend.

8. Brady Wright says:

I went to high school with Kenny. Burdicks sorry for your loss. Brady

9. Mona Mosley says:

May God grant peace & comfort to family. May God rest your soul Randy.

10. Dee (Gallegos) Neiter says:

Neva……I have good memories of Randy in high school and car hopping at KENS Drive Inn.
    He always had a great infectious laugh.and a great out look on life…positive attitude. Not to
    mention a wonderful smile and a nice looking handsome friend. All of us girls liked Randy.
    Some times he went to lunch with us…..I could tell that he enjoyed our gossip and laughter.
    I am so grateful that I got to know him and he is in some great memories of our youth.
    Those memories will come and go for you but you raised a nice human being Neva.
    Blessings to you and your family and know that you will sense the Lords presence, and he will surround you with family and friends to move towards you at this time….and at least you know that he is with your Walter now and no more pain…….aren’t we glad that they knew who the Lord is.
    Again blessings to you Neva….Dee

11. Thea n jerry says:

Sincere condolences love and healing prayes

12. Heidi Hansen Reid says:

May God bless you and hold you in the palm of his hand at this time. So many wonderful memories of Randy and the Burdick family in the jr. riding club and growing up in Ely.

13. Rich and Judy Watts says:

So sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
    Rich and Judy Watts

14. Shirley (Miller) Jones says:

Neva,
    The news of your loss has just reached me. Randy was a great high school friend of mine and the news has sadden me to say the least. Randy and I really had fun times together; it always included a lot of laughing. He was a wonderful up-beat, genuine and compassionate friend.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

15. Linda Norcross says:

Neva, Tooter, Kenny,
    I can’t tell you how sorry I am that you lost Randy. He was a wonderful person. I still have one of his pen works that I treasure. I had no idea he passed away.

Neva, you were a special person in my life. I also loved Kenny. Please accept my regret that I did not attend his service. He was special.

Love,