Gloria Jean Montoya

Montoya1Gloria Jean Montoya, born in Waterloo, Iowa to Louis and Sylvia (Cates) Miller on May 30, 1942 was called to heaven after a long illness, on September 15, 2015.

Gloria’s younger years were spent in Henderson, Tempiute and Kimberly before  moving to Ely.

She worked many years as a waitress for B&J’s Restaurant and then as a cashier for Standard Market. She was always proud of the time she worked at the Hotel Sahara in Las Vegas. Later she enjoyed selling Avon. Her passion in life was being an artist. Gloria was mostly known for her paintings and art work. Most anywhere you go you can see one of her beautiful paintings on display.

Gloria had three sons, Richard (Kathy), Kevin (Ruth), and Stanley (Lisa).

On June 4, 1971 she married Rudy Montoya and moved to Crosstimbers. They were involved in the White Pine Rodders Car Club, where she really enjoyed showing off the old Curto Chevy at the shows and also driving it in the parades. She was also a member of the Red Hat Society.

Her hobbies included bowling, fishing, camping, gardening, cooking, taking pictures of scenery and spending time with her family and friends.

Gloria leaves behind her husband of 44 years, Rudy, her sons, three sisters, 14 grandchildren, 6 great-grandchildren, numerous nieces and nephews, cousins and aunts and uncles all of whom will miss her dearly.

She was preceded in death by her parents.

Funeral services will be on October 9, 2015 at the LDS Stake Center in Ely at 10:00 a.m..  Visitation will be a 9:30 a.m.

Get the latest news, alerts, and more from The Ely Times straight to your inbox.

Comments

1. Felicia Diamond says:

I’m really going to miss my grandma. :'( love you grandma

2. Fran And Fred Rose says:

I well miss you my dear friend, and I am happy you are not suffering any longer. R.I.P. Gloria.

3. Donna Frederick says:

My sincerest sympathy to the family of Gloria Montoya. I am one of those who has her pictures on display in my home. Gloria was a good friend, and terrific artist. May she rest in peace.

• Ruth Roberts says:

I will miss my mother in law dearly, she was a wonderful artist and a great person. Rest in peace mom. GODS SPEED. Thank you for the painting!

• Irene Blair Gomez says:

Gloria was one of my classmates, I had purchased two of her deer paintings, one for me and a larger one for my son. She was a very sweet and nice friend always.

4. Diane Boteilho says:

Your home now no more suffering always a good friend

5. Connie davis says:

She was a wonderful person, she will be missed.

6. Kay Lynn says:

Gloria was a beautiful, talented and well spirited lady–she was one of my favorite cousins! Have missed seeing her during my visits to Ely for years and now trust that she is a watching over us all and teaching the angels to paint.